This is the home page of Jean-Marie BECKERS (contact e-mail: JM.Beckers (symbol) ulg.ac.be)
Professor, GHER group leader
- Full professor (Professeur ordinaire) at the University of Liège since 1/1/07
- Professor at the University of Liège since 1/10/03.
- Research Associate F.R.S.-FNRS from 1/10/95 to 30/9/05.
- Post-doctoral researcher F.R.S.-FNRS, also Alexander Von Humboldt fellow at IFM Hamburg, from 1/10/93 to 30/9/95.
- Assistant at University of Liège from 1/10/92 to 30/9/93.
- Research Fellow F.R.S.-FNRS from 1/10/88 to 30/9/92.
- Student-assistant University of Liège from 1985 to 1988.
Peer reviewed publications
A printable version can be generated here
Research interests and recent work
Physical oceanography with theoretical developments in
- numerical and mathematical modelling,
- statistical data analyisis, in particular spatial gridding,
- data assimilation
applications include global, regional and coastal domains, mainly in
- Mediterranean Sea,
- Black Sea,
- Golf of Cadiz.
- Member of MODEG: Marine Observation and Data Expert Group
- F.R.S.-FNRS representative at the ESF Marine Board
- Member of the scientific advisory board of Ifremer from 2007-2012
- Member of the EGU Fridtjof Nansen Medal committee 2010-2014
- Expert at the EU
- Evaluator for national programs: ANR, EU-BONUS projects, NSF-USA, CNRS-INSU, Severa-Ochoa commitee 2011, NWO, Swiss NSF, Croation Science Fundation, Portuges Praxis projects
- Partner or coordinator of 24 EU projects
- Organiser of the International Liege Colloquium on Ocean Dynamics and editor of associated special issues
- Editor of Ocean Dynamics from 2001 to 2012
- Member of the editorial board of Dataset Papers in Geosciences since 2012, ISRN Oceanography since 2012, Asia Pacific Journal on Computational Engineering since 2013
- Reviewer for 34 international journals
- WERNAERS award 2010
- TOYP Belgium (the outstanding young person) award, section sciences and technology 1997.
- Prix André Leroux 1995 de l'Association des Amis de l'Université de Liège.
- Prix IBM Belgique d'Informatique, Ph.D. thesis, F.N.R.S. 1993.
- Prix IRMA (Institut de Recherches Marines et d'Interaction Air-Mer) 1992.
- Photography during trekking in remote locations
- Cooking for and with friends
- Card magic