Diva workshop 2013 Stareso
The dates of the workshop are from Monday 4 to Friday 8 November 2013 with core activities on 5-6-7 November.
The participants are expected to arrive on Monday and leave on Friday.
We cannot provide accommodation at STARESO before Monday 4 and after Friday 8.
The workshop will be held at Stareso research station, with rooms in the Revellata lighthouse and meetings in the station.
How to get there?
You need to flight into Calvi's airport unless you want to spent some hours driving around the island:
- from Ajaccio (165 km, > 2h30)
- or from Bastia (109 km, > 1h45)
(but be aware, this takes time and rental cars cannot use the last 3km road to the Research Station).
So try to arrive at (via Paris, Marseille or Nice): Calvi's airport.
Transports from the Calvi airport to STARESO will be arranged according to the arrival of the participants.
We cannot arrange car trips from Bastia to Calvi.
Please provide us with your flight schedules (arrival/departure times at at/from Calvi as well as flight number).
If you plan to rent a car, let us know so that we can arrange trips for other participants arriving at the same time.
Also let us know if you arrive earlier or leave later than the workshop dates.
The participants will be housed at the station.
Bath towels and soap are provided in the rooms.
Meals are taken on place. Let us know in advance if you have any food preference.
Power sockets are Type~F, some of you may need adapters.
Just send an email to Charles (ctroupin at ulg dot ac dot be) with your intention to attend the workshop.
Later on we will ask you details concerning your flight schedules, in order to organize transportation from the airport to the workshop venue. Preference will be given to researchers so as to ensure a presence of Emodnet and SeaDataNet partners.
Participants have to organize their travel and cover their travel expenses.
Local accommodation (lodging and food) must be paid on place (340€ per person for the four nights; cost of drinks are to be added based on consumption).
As in the previous editions of the workshop, the program will be adapted to each participants, according to its needs and to its experience with the software.
- Arrival of participants, checking of hardware, compilers and libraries to be installed (see list of things to be installed).
- Installation and compilation of the latest stable version of the code. Basic test of the installation for 2D, choice of solver depending on hardware (parallel, serial, iterative)
- Registration to the Diva user group.
- General presentation of the workshop: historic, participants, organization.
- Presentation of Diva software (formulation, advantages, implementation).
- Tests with a common data set in 2D (influence of analysis parameters and error field calculation).
- Extraction of topography and creation of contours from topography.
- Test with user's data set (2D).
- Presentation of GODIVA (Diva with loops on time and depth levels).
- Test case with a common data set: role of the parameters in the driver file.
- Extraction of data from ODV spreadsheets.
- Application with user data.
- Presentation: recent developments and future improvements of Diva.
- Application with user data (continued).
- Advanced analysis (for expert users): advection, source/decay, multivariate analysis, data transformation, correlated observational errors
- Presentation of the results by the participants.
- User specific questions.
- Feedback questionnaire.
- Departure of participants.
Prior to the workshop, the participants are advised to perform a few installations of software and to prepare their own data files.
- Compilation and execution: cygwin (if windows machine), a Fortran compiler (gfortran, ifort, …) and the netcdf library compiled with the same Fortran compiler that will be used for Diva.
- Visualization of results: gnuplot, ncview, ncbrowse or any other plotting software that can read NetCDF format.
- Processing of results and advanced plotting: python, octave or matlab, and the NetCDF toolbox.
Check the page dedicated to the plotting tools.
- One or several data files in ODV format (spreadsheet). The file may contain several variables if desired.
- A topography for you area of interest (you can extract one via Diva on Web; just upload a data set and specify as output grid the grid you want for topography later)
- General information for participants: DivaWorkshop2013_general.pdf
- Installation: DivaWorkshop2013_installation.pdf
- Diva in 2 dimensions: DivaWorkshop2013_diva2D.pdf
- Diva in 3 dimensions: Diva3D_manual.pdf
- Diva in 4 dimensions (GODIVA): Diva4D_manual.pdf
- New developments: DivaWorkshop2013_new_developments.pdf
The presentations and tutorials made during the previous workshop are available here:
- Theory and 2-D version: Diva_workshop2012_theory2D.pdf
- Installing and running Diva in 2 dimensions: Diva_workshop2012_Example2D.pdf
- Godiva tutorial: Diva_workshop2012_godiva.pdf
The User Guide can be downloaded from here.Paper versions of the User Guide will be available during the workshop, so that the participants can annotate if some parts need to be clarified or extended.