- To carry out a detailed quality check of the MODB in order to associate statistical indices to verify the reconstructed climatologies. To use advanced statistical methods to control the quality of MODB.
- To develop a variational analysis method in the isopycnal space instead of the classical geometric space (as it is currently done) to allow the description of water masses movements without excessive smoothing.
- To analyse accurately the seasonal cycle of thermocline in order to provide the best estimate of the seasonal variability of heat content over the whole Mediterranean Sea. This will also contribute to improve the parametrization of atmospheric / ocean fluxe.
- To investigate the relationship between the ocean state during the period 1980-1995, its variability (seasonal and interannual) and the actual atmospheric forcings. One critical question will be to determine the relative contribution of internal dynamics and external forcings (e.g. freshwater fluxes) to the interannual variability.
- On the basis of the preceeding point, to quantify the amplitude of possible climatic drifts in the water mass properties, and their possible impact on the general circulation.